Friday, October 5, 2012

Geaux Gillikin Goes GeoCaching!




 My son Kaden and I recently picked up a new hobby. It's called Geocaching. Never heard of it? It is a world wide outdoor treasure/scavenger hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smart phone or GPS (Global Positioning System). You can then share your experiences online. The best part about it is that its FREE! Well that's really the second best part.  For me, the best part is spending quality bonding time with my son! 

We use my Iphone instead of an actual hand held GPS. I did purchase the app for $10 but, the app is not required to play. If you know me, I can get lost in my own backyard so I needed to make this as easy as possible which is why is I purchased the app. (that and I had leftover money on an Itunes gift card).

Surprisingly there are many locations around our town and surrounding areas. I can imagine that Geocaching while out of town or on vacation is a ton of fun but knowing the area helped us newbies. I am not going to lie though, the first day we attempted this we went to two locations without any luck and FINALLY at the third location with much frustration, we made our first find. I was ready to give up but my son is a little perfectionist and was determined not to leave our third location without a find. We were both very excited even though it was only a log book and not a treasure. At that very moment I knew he was hooked.  

So, what's a log book you ask? It's basically just a book and sometimes just a slip of paper that you sign and date to let other Geocachers know that you were there. That said, you should always have a pen on you while Geocaching.  Now, some Caches actually have "treasure" in them. Although its mostly junk the kids LOVE to find it. The rule is if you take something out you have to leave something of greater or equal value. Kaden has taken things like a keychain and a marble that looked like a tiny globe. Some Caches contain a signature item. These are  unique and can be anything from geocoins or tokens to trackable items like travel bugs.  

We are still very new at this and learning as we go but once you get the hang of it, it is very enjoyable. 


For more information on Geocaching, check out the official website by clicking here - and don't forget to find us , just search GeauxGillikin.





Hmmm..not to sure about this mom!

Bag full of treasure!

 This was a fun one at the Old Cinclare Sugar Mill. I believe the name of this Cache was "The Sugar Train" 


                                        



3 comments:

  1. Geocaching is a lot of fun, but can also be a little frustrating. I am terribly allergic to poison ivy so we have to avoid a lot of the larger caches in wooded or really grassy areas. That sucks because those caches always have the coolest hiding spots and goodies inside. We've had several that we had to visit a few times before we finally found them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't ventured out yet. The ones we did were park and grabs...well suppose to be anyway! Ha! I havent had Poison Ivy since I was a kid but I use to get it all the time so I had better be careful! Kaden has never had it!! (knock on wood)

      Delete